In the early 1990's, a few friends & fellow students started a weekly Bible study fellowship in Philadelphia to study the Word of God & pray together. Over the years, the fellowship moved places & the Lord added new people & built up that group of believers.
Cornerstone Fellowship was officially formed in 2005 & continued to have fellowship & Bible studies on Fridays. In 2008, the church was started with weekly Sunday services & the Lord has established it for His glory.
Cornerstone is a non-denominational, multi-cultural & Bible-believing Church living to glorify the name of the Lord Jesus Christ!
Pastor Visuvasam Dhanaraj
Pastor Visu has been serving the Lord Jesus for over 30 years. His passion is to see people come to the saving knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ & have a living relationship with Him! He is blessed with his wife, Valentina who stands with him in the ministry along with their daughter, Vinitha. He is also blessed with a great team of Men & Women who serve faithfully here at Cornerstone!
VISION AND PURPOSE
- To know Christ & to make Him known.
- To lead people to the saving knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ.
- To disciple people to become disciple-makers.
- To build lives for the glory of God.
- To walk in the gifts and the fruit of the Holy Spirit.
- To serve the community with the love of Christ.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone, in whom the whole building, being fitted together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord, in whom you also are being built together for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit. Ephesians 2:19-22 NKJV
- The Bible is the infallible written Word of God. The Scriptures are inspired by God and declare His design and plan for mankind.
- There is only one true God–revealed in three persons...Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (commonly known as the Trinity).
- In the deity of the Lord Jesus Christ. As God's Son, Jesus was both human and divine.
- Though originally good, man willingly fell to sin–ushering evil and death, both physical and spiritual, into the world.
- Every person can have restored fellowship with God through 'Salvation' (accepting Christ's offer of forgiveness for sin through His shed blood on the cross of Calvary).
- And practice two ordinances - (1) Water Baptism by immersion after repenting of one's sins and receiving Christ's gift of salvation, and (2) Holy Communion (the Lord's Supper) as a symbolic remembrance of Christ's suffering and death for our salvation.
- The Baptism in the Holy Spirit is a special experience following salvation that empowers believers for witnessing and effective service, just as it did in New Testament times.
- Speaking in tongues is a valid scriptural experience in the Holy Spirit today, as experienced on the day of Pentecost and referenced throughout Acts and the Epistles.
- Sanctification initially occurs at salvation and is not only a declaration that a believer is holy, but also a progressive lifelong process of separating from evil as believers continually draw closer to God and become more Christ-like.
- The church has a mission to seek and save all who are lost in sin. We believe 'the church' is the body of Christ and consists of the people who, throughout time, have accepted God's offer of redemption (regardless of religious denomination) through the sacrificial death of His son Jesus Christ.
- A divinely called and scripturally ordained leadership ministry serves the church. The Bible teaches that each of us under leadership must commit ourselves to reach others for Christ, to worship Him with other believers, and to build up or edify the body of believers–the church.
- Divine healing of the sick is a privilege for Christians today and is provided for in Christ's atonement (His sacrificial death on the cross for our sins).
- In the blessed hope—when Jesus raptures his church prior to His return to earth (the second coming). At this future moment in time all believers who have died will rise from their graves and will meet the Lord in the air, and Christians who are alive will be caught up with them, to be with the Lord forever.
- In the millennial reign of Christ when Jesus returns with His saints at His second coming and begins His benevolent rule over earth for 1,000 years. This millennial reign will bring the salvation of national Israel and the establishment of universal peace.
- A final judgment will take place for those who have rejected Christ's offer of salvation. They will be judged for their sin and consigned to eternal punishment in a punishing lake of fire.
- And look forward to the perfect new heavens and a new earth that Christ is preparing for all people, of all time, who have accepted Him. We will live and dwell with Him there forever following His millennial reign on earth. 'And so shall we forever be with the Lord!